WHAT IS CYBER SECURITY?
Cyber Security is the process of protection of cyber assets (network, application, devices etc.) and critical data from any kind of cyber-attack.
Cyber-attacks are danger to organizations, employees, and consumers because it can reveal, remove or manipulate critical information with unauthorised access. Cyber Attacks are customised to access or destroy sensitive data or extort money. Cyber- attacks can, thus destroy businesses and damage people financial and personal lives.
Cyber security is practice of safeguarding Confidentiality, Integrity and availability (CIA) of Information assets.
IMPORTANCE OF CYBER SECURITY?
Since Technology and internet is prevalent now a days and has become an integral part of everyone’s life. Everybody is sharing so much of information through the networks internet that keeping it secure at all times, upholding the very principles of information security: integrity, availability and confidentiality has become challenging.
The rise in security threats on information assets like servers networks and other communication devices and increasing opportunities for fraud, theft, espionage , cyber terrorism and misuse of classified, personal (PHI and PII) and financial data, have contributed to the significant growth of cyber security in recent times, making it a top choice for career seekers today.
WHAT IS THE NEED OF CYBER SECURITY?
A data breach can bring a range of catastrophic consequences for any business. It can deteriorate anorganisation’s reputation through the loss of consumer and partner trust. The loss of critical information, such as intellectual property or source files, can cost a company its competitive advantage. Adata breach can impact organisation’s revenues due to non-compliance with data protection regulations. A data breach costs an affected organization in million, however a good cyber security system can save this amount. With incidents of data breaches cases with many famous companies, it’s essential that organizations adopt and implement a strong cyber security approach.
Data and employees are the most valuable assets of a company. There is a need cyber security professionals who are both well-educated and adequately trained in all kinds of government and corporate firms.
When employees are handling critical data on a regular basis, it’s important for them to understand computer security and how to protect the company.
HOW TO START A CAREER IN CYBER SECURITY?
As such there is no defined path in Cyber Security. There are many individuals who start their career directly with Cyber Security as Network Engineer, Database Administrator, and Security Administrator etc. after completing their graduation. However there are many individuals who switch their domains to Cyber Security by pursuing different courses and certification like CCNA, CCNP, COMPTIA, CCNA Security, CEH, ECSA, CHFI etc.
An individual with 2-5 years of Information Technology experience can go for certifications like ISO 27001 Lead Auditor, ISO 27001 Lead Implementer, and GDPR etc.
A professional with 5-10 years or more experience in IT can pursue higher level of certification like CISA, CISM, CRISC and CISSP.
COMMON SKILLSETS DESIRED IN CYBER SECURITY?
- Information Security Analyst: Security Analyst is the entry level job in the field of Cyber Security. This person is responsible for monitoring networks, reporting breaches and cyber security incidents, maintaining firewall and data encryption etc.
- SOC Analyst: A SOC (Security Operations Centre) Analyst is responsible for maintaining security by monitoring and analysing organisations network on regularly. SOC team detects, analyse and respond cyber security incidents.SOC Team is also responsible for investigating suspicious activities, ensuring that potential security incidents are correctly defended, identified, analysed, investigated and escalated to keep company’s infrastructure secure.
- Incident Handler: An Incident handler is a part of Incident Response Team (IRT) analyses information, discusses observations and activities, and shares important reports and communications across the company.
- Cyber Forensics Investigator:A Cyber Forensics Investigator is responsible for investigating all the cyber security incidentals and breaches. They perform root cause analysis of any data breach and prevent them from recurrence.
- Ethical Hacker/Penetration Tester: An Ethical hacker is responsible for identifying bugs and flaws from Applications and Networks, which makes the Information System vulnerable for unauthorised access.
- Risk Assessor: Risk Assessor identifies all the possible cyber security risk in the organisation and them establishing an appropriate Risk Treatment Plan to mitigate compliance, reputational and operational risk.
- Network Analyst: Network Analyst is responsiblepreparing computers in a network, which enables the computers to be able to work together and share information for managing the network infrastructure and network troubleshooting
- Cloud Security Engineer: A cloud Security engineer is responsible protecting organisation critical information by providing security to cloud based digital platforms. They detect possible risk on the cloud based program and provide security instructions to risk management team.
- Internal Auditor: A cyber Security internal auditor is responsible for assessing IT processes and information security compliance in the organisation and make sure organisation is complies with relevant laws and regulation in order to run the business. Internal Auditors also coordinates between internal audit and external audit function.
- Security Architect:A Security Architect is responsible for designing, building and overseeing the implementation of network and computer security for an organization. A Security Architect is also responsible for creating complex security structures – and ensuring that they work.
- Security Consultant: A Cyber Security Consultantis responsible for identifying, developing, and implementing cyber security solutions to meet their client’s needs. In addition to this he/she can assist sales team to safeguard clients. They also monitor and assess potential cyber security risk for any organisation.
- Chief Information Security Officer(CISO):This is a high level position, who is responsible for managing overall Information and Cyber Security of any origination. This position needs technical as well as management skillsets. CISO is responsible for developing Cyber Security strategy in the organisation.
- Cyber Security Trainer: With the huge demand of Cyber Security in market there is a requirement of professionals who can generate these skillsets among others. If one has interest in training, he/she can pursue their career as trainer/instructor.
Cyber Security industry is a huge market. With all the regulatory and legal compliances almost all of organisation are hiring Cyber Security professional.A cyber security professional is everywhere in an organisation like managing and monitoring networks, incidents, applications etc. Basic Cyber Security awareness is essential for everybody in the organisation, including the top management, executives and the security guard who is safeguarding the organisations entry gates.
According to studies there is a big shortage of cyber security professionals, particularly those with relevant skillset. This is a golden opportunity for many jobseeker, particularly who has technical background and seeking a career in Cyber Security domain.
Tags:CCNA, CCNP, ISO 27001 LA, ISO 27001 LI, CISO, legal and regulatory.
Keywords:Compliance, Cyber Security, Network Analyst, Internal Auditor, ISMS, CISO, Incident Handler, Cyber Security trainer,GDPR.
- Change happens through Excellence and Endurance of Leadership 6,500 km on Cycle: Mumbai to Ho Chi Minh City January 12, 2020
- WHY CYBER SECURITY TRAINING AND AWARENESS SHOULD BE NECESSARY FOR TOP MANAGEMENT? January 12, 2020
- INFORMATION SECURITY-KNOW WHAT COMPLIANCE YOUR ORGANIZATION NEED December 30, 2019
- HOW CEH Certification can add VALUE to your RESUME December 2, 2019
- HOW SOCIAL ENGINEERING IS USED IN PERSONAL INFORMATION STEALING? December 1, 2019
- CYBER SECURITY WORKSHOPS: AN EFFECTIVE WAY TO UNDERSTAND CYBER RISKS FOR BEGINNERS AND PROFESSIONALS November 17, 2019
- CYBER SECURITY CERTIFICATIONS FOR BEGINNERS November 3, 2019
- WHAT SHOULD I DO TO MAKE MY CAREER INTO INFORMATION SECURITY? October 14, 2019
- IS CYBER SECURITY A GOOD CAREER OPTION? October 6, 2019
- WHY BUSINESS CONTINUITY MANAGEMENT IS SO IMPORTANT FOR IT SERVICE PROVIDERS September 29, 2019
- CYBER SECURITY MUST KNOWS FOR CLOUD SERVICE PROVIDERS September 23, 2019
- DIGITAL MARKETERS SHOULD KNOW ABOUT CYBER SECURITY September 13, 2019
- Cyber Security Challenges Faced by Fintech Start-ups September 3, 2019
- HIPAA COMPLIANCE A NECESSITY FOR HEALTH CARE SECTOR August 27, 2019
- 7 Things I Learned Growing A YouTube Channel From 20k Views To 4 Million Views In 6 Months August 26, 2019
- COMMON CYBER SECURITY THREATS August 20, 2019
- CYBER CRISIS MANAGEMENT (So what exactly Cyber Crisis is?) August 10, 2019
- INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY (IT) RISK MANAGEMENT July 27, 2019
- 10 Tips For Cheap Travel Around The World July 9, 2019
- Is it Possible to Grow a Large Startup Team in a Coworking Space ? April 16, 2019
- Clinical Diagnosis, The contemporary, hands-on and real-time analysis April 11, 2019
- Do you wish to multiply your income? March 22, 2019
- Factors to Consider When Choosing a Right Coworking Space March 20, 2019
- How Digital Marketing can help to market co-working space February 25, 2019
- All you need to know about the August Google Panda Update February 5, 2019
- BOOK ON COMPLETE Text OF AMENDED SECTIONS AMENDED BY THE CENTRAL AND INTEGRATED GOODS AND SERVICES TAX (AMENDMENT) ACT, 2018 January 30, 2019
- The Future of Co-working: More than just WiFi and Desk January 29, 2019