Cyber Security has become one of the priorities of businesses. Businesses have to follow certain rules and regulations in order to remain compliant. One side where organisations are building their Information Security and Cyber Security capabilities on the other hand it is equally important to have a knowledgeable leadership which is at least aware of basic Cyber Security concepts.
Cyber-crimes and attacks creates a huge impact our organisation’ security, organisation’s financial growth, and consumer confidence. Each and every business regardless of size or geographic location, is a potential target for hackers. Preparing for and responding to this growing cyber threat is necessary – and it is an executive level responsibility.
There have been many cases where top management becomes victim of cyber security frauds and incidents because of lack of information security awareness.
Although cyber awareness is mandatory for everyone working in the organisation, however it is more essential for the leadership.
Reasons, why top management should attend cyber security trainings:
- Top management often works on privileged accounts, i.e. mostly they work with admin privileges in their systems, hence can lose critical information during any cyber-attack.
- Generally top management IT systems does not comes under continuous monitoring, so it becomes easier for the hacker or malicious user to intrude inside the system and remain undetected.
- Top management has very crucial data about the business which has very high “Hack Value” i.e. the data is worth hacking which generally attracts hackers and competitor.
- Top management generally are the not aware of cyber security and information security’s day to day things, so they are most vulnerable for any cyber threat.
- Top management is mostly using their IT systems outside the organisations network such as conferences, hotel rooms, investors meeting etc since they travel a lot for business purposes. They should be aware of dos and don’ts of cyber security and information security.
- Data leakage from any top management’s system could damage the organisations reputation.
- Top Management often fell prey of cyber security incidents because of their popularity among the rest of world and their credentials available online
- Top managers are most of the times very good management professional, however they lack good IT security skillset, which could be achieved by attending cyber security awareness trainings
What is the Role of Leadership in Information Security Management System (ISMS)?
Leadership plays very important role in Information Security Management System.
- Leadership defines the policies and procedures for Cyber Security and Information Security with respect to the regulatory compliance.
- Leadership provides appropriate financial, technical and human resources for maintaining Information and Cyber Security.
- Leadership is responsible for periodic review of Information Security and Cyber Security status of the organisation.
- Leadership is also responsible for periodic review of risk pertaining to Cyber Security and information security and treatment of high level risk which could be detrimental for the organisation’s growth
- Leadership is responsible for Risk Treatment: Risk Mitigation, Risk Avoidance, Risk Acceptance, and Risk Sharing. The resources to mitigate Information Security and Cyber Security risk shall be provided by leadership
What should be the content of Cyber Security awareness training?
Training should give a basic understanding of information security and cyber security. Clear definition and examples of Confidentiality, Integrity and Availability should be provided.
- Basics of information systems
- Definitions and examples of IT systems like networks and application
- Examples of Information Assets: Networks, Application, People, Documents
- Importance of cyber security and information security
- Difference between Information Technology and Information Security Governance system
- Importance of reviewing information security and Cyber security status of the organisation.
- Difference between IT security and Information Security
- Importance of developing Information Security and Cyber Security training and awareness among employees including vendors and contractual staff.
- Regular Development of competence among the employees for handling information security and cyber security issues.
- Importance of business continuity and disaster recovery.
- Common threat scenarios like phishing, spoofing, Vishing (voice phishing) should also be demonstrated during information security training.
- Risk pertaining to third party or services outsourcing.
- Information and cyber security compliance.
- Change management, capacity management, backup management and incident management.
- Importance of vendor risk assessment and third party security audits.
- Basics of user access management and asset management
- Aspects of vulnerability management and patch management.
- Importance and process of Cyber security forensics process.
- Basics of encryptions and importance of its usage for information security.
- Cyber resilience and table top exercises.
Information Technology and Information Security works hand in hand. Both compliments each other however both are different domains. In many cases it has been observed that due to lack of appropriate knowledge and training many leaders/Top Management are unable to take right decision pertaining to information security and Cyber security which could lead to serious compliance issues sometimes. Attending an awareness session shall be definitely helpful for organisations growth.
A comprehensive training program will help the Top Management to understand the basics of Information and Cyber Security threats and risks. It’s also help the leadership to understand how the compliance for the same should be managed.
Organizations that are the most prepared to mitigate cyber risks have top management/leadership that are aware and informed of the current cyber security and information security threat environment. Executives and Boards of Directors set organisations policy, approve financial & human resource budget, and provide oversight and leadership. Setting the governance from the top is essential. Cyber security risk management is often considered as an IT issue, however it is a cross-departmental responsibility that requires executive leadership and support. It is very important of any organisation to identify and mitigate any kind of cyber security or information security risk.
There are many online and in house customised training programmes are available worldwide for enhancing cyber security skills at each level in the organisation. A cyber security awareness session would definitely be helpful in order to understand the current risk scenario and how to deal with those situations.
#Tags: Data Breaches,training, top management,executives
#Keywords:Cyber Security, Information security,training,risk, threats,leadership,capacity management, change management, backup,encryption,hack value,
- Change happens through Excellence and Endurance of Leadership 6,500 km on Cycle: Mumbai to Ho Chi Minh City January 12, 2020
- WHY CYBER SECURITY TRAINING AND AWARENESS SHOULD BE NECESSARY FOR TOP MANAGEMENT? January 12, 2020
- INFORMATION SECURITY-KNOW WHAT COMPLIANCE YOUR ORGANIZATION NEED December 30, 2019
- HOW CEH Certification can add VALUE to your RESUME December 2, 2019
- HOW SOCIAL ENGINEERING IS USED IN PERSONAL INFORMATION STEALING? December 1, 2019
- CYBER SECURITY WORKSHOPS: AN EFFECTIVE WAY TO UNDERSTAND CYBER RISKS FOR BEGINNERS AND PROFESSIONALS November 17, 2019
- CYBER SECURITY CERTIFICATIONS FOR BEGINNERS November 3, 2019
- WHAT SHOULD I DO TO MAKE MY CAREER INTO INFORMATION SECURITY? October 14, 2019
- IS CYBER SECURITY A GOOD CAREER OPTION? October 6, 2019
- WHY BUSINESS CONTINUITY MANAGEMENT IS SO IMPORTANT FOR IT SERVICE PROVIDERS September 29, 2019
- CYBER SECURITY MUST KNOWS FOR CLOUD SERVICE PROVIDERS September 23, 2019
- DIGITAL MARKETERS SHOULD KNOW ABOUT CYBER SECURITY September 13, 2019
- Cyber Security Challenges Faced by Fintech Start-ups September 3, 2019
- HIPAA COMPLIANCE A NECESSITY FOR HEALTH CARE SECTOR August 27, 2019
- 7 Things I Learned Growing A YouTube Channel From 20k Views To 4 Million Views In 6 Months August 26, 2019
- COMMON CYBER SECURITY THREATS August 20, 2019
- CYBER CRISIS MANAGEMENT (So what exactly Cyber Crisis is?) August 10, 2019
- INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY (IT) RISK MANAGEMENT July 27, 2019
- 10 Tips For Cheap Travel Around The World July 9, 2019
- Is it Possible to Grow a Large Startup Team in a Coworking Space ? April 16, 2019
- Clinical Diagnosis, The contemporary, hands-on and real-time analysis April 11, 2019
- Do you wish to multiply your income? March 22, 2019
- Factors to Consider When Choosing a Right Coworking Space March 20, 2019
- How Digital Marketing can help to market co-working space February 25, 2019
- All you need to know about the August Google Panda Update February 5, 2019
- BOOK ON COMPLETE Text OF AMENDED SECTIONS AMENDED BY THE CENTRAL AND INTEGRATED GOODS AND SERVICES TAX (AMENDMENT) ACT, 2018 January 30, 2019
- The Future of Co-working: More than just WiFi and Desk January 29, 2019